Sunday, August 2, 2026

Waterloo root beer float

Background information: (from the website) "Waterloo was founded in 2017 with an unwavering commitment to create better-tasting, better-for-you sparkling waters that support a healthy, active lifestyle. We formed a team of people who have worked together on previous ventures, ready to challenge the status quo again."

"We taste everything within a particular flavor profile – dozens of products in supermarkets and restaurants! Then, we bookend our flavor vision for the new sparkling water – from the best in nature (like a ripe, juicy peach) to the more playful and nostalgic (like a peach gummy ring). Our craft then comes into play, layering the flavors with meticulous attention to the nuances of taste and aroma until we hit our bullseye."

"We cast a wide net when we begin creating a new sparkling water, often bringing in 30-50 relevant flavor components.

We mix and taste, allowing time for dozens of such iterations. For most flavors, it’s a 6-9 month process of tweaking flavors to finalize our recipe. Through it all, we are aiming for what we call “sessionability” – easily drinkable, refreshing and enjoyable many times a day."


Product details: 12 fl. oz.  Distributed by Waterloo Sparkling Water Corp, Austin, TX 78702. 0 calories, 0g sugar. Aluminum can. https://www.drinkwaterloo.com/


Ingredients: Purified Carbonated Water, Natural Flavors.


My thoughts: This is a new one for me; root beer flavored sparkling water. I'm actually a big fan of sparkling waters and have enjoyed the interesting flavors in Guy Fieri's Flavortown lineup, but am not sure what to expect when combining the lightly flavored carbonated waters with root beer. Well, let's see if this can take the heat, or needs to get out of my kitchen (I know, I'm paraphrasing the wrong person).

This has a good rooty sassafras smell and taste. It's not some other flavor masquerading as a root beer. It legitimately tastes like root beer! Obviously, it's not going to have that super thick root beer taste since it's a sparkling water, but it comes close. It is supported by vanilla tones. The flavor does fade away quickly, but I feel like part of that is this not being sugary, so it doesn't coat and stick to my tongue and mouth the same way regular soda does. And even though it fades, it does so in a light and refreshingly pleasant sort of way.

Like other Waterloo products, this is nice and fizzy with a good amount of bubbles that dance across my tongue. The bubbles are small and not too prickly and the can stays well carbonated as I drink it. Smoothness is a little harder to judge compared to other root beers, in that this doesn't froth up and get creamy, but as a sparkling water, it feels crisp and satisfying. Sweetness is perfect for what this is, with zero sugar and zero artificial sweeteners. If doesn't feel lacking in sweetness unless you want and are comparing it to a traditional soda. But I like it.

This is a very different "root beer" than I'm used to reviewing. In a way, it's not a root beer at all so much as a sparkling soda that's flavored like root beer. I've really grown to prefer sparkling waters over traditional soda, especially when it's hot and I want something cold and refreshing that's going to hydrate me. Getting one that tastes like a good root beer is just a huge bonus and I'm very happy with the flavor they captured. The biggest disappointment is that this is a temporary flavor, so once it's gone, we likely won't see it again. If it stuck around, this would become a staple flavor in my rotation. For those avoiding sugar, I find this way better than any of the diet or other artificial sweetener options. This is one drink that can take the heat.

Rating: A
flavor: A
aftertaste: B+
sweetness: A+
smoothness: B
carbonation: A+ 


No comments:

Post a Comment