Monday, September 14, 2026

A&W root beer float

Background information: New for 2026, A&W are introducing the limited edition flavor, "root beer float". Inspired by the dirty soda trend, this root beer is claimed to offer a creamier experience straight out of the bottle. The copywriting for this launch says, "A&W’s new Root Beer Float soda features a blend of sassafras and licorice-flavored, earthy root beer with the “vanilla-kissed” flavor and creamy mouthfeel of vanilla ice cream. It’s meant to emanate the flavors of a classic diner root beer float—without the need for a spoon."

Unfortunately, for a brand that owns the coveted "rootbeer.com" website, the actual page is sparse (hardly any content) and semi-functional (the side navigation tabs don't work), with just a basic listing of the 4 usual flavors they carry (regular A&W cream soda and root beer, plus the zero sugar versions) and a couple float recipes. No history of the brand, insight into the company, root beer knowledge/facts, or anything noteworthy. When I reviewed A&W 11 years ago, the site had historical information, but that's all been stripped for some corporate, minimum effort, nutrition facts only landing page. What a waste of a website.

Product details: 20 fl. oz.  Produced under the authority of Dr. Pepper/Seven Up Inc., 6425 Hall of Fame Lane, Frisco, TX 76034. 250 calories, 66g sugar (~40g sugar per 12 oz.). Plastic bottle with twist-off top. www.rootbeer.com


Ingredients: Carbonated water, cane sugar, natural flavors, maple syrup, natural caramel color, sodium benzoate (as a preservative), and citric acid.


My thoughts: When I first started this root beer review blog, I decided to grade on an A-to-F scale, with the middle "C average" represented by what I considered to be an all around average root beer; A&W. Now, some may think a "C" is a bad score (in a world where any movie that isn't an "A" is a terrible movie), but it truly represents the average expectation for what a root beer should be. I've been a fan of "dirty sodas" for some time now, but wonder how close a factory produced soda can come to a soda with real dairy creamer in it. Let's see if A&W manage to capture lightning in a bottle.

My first thoughts are that this has a weaker than expected rooty sassafras flavor to it. The flavor is a little thin and watery. While the copywriting mentions licorice, I'm not tasting any anise at all, and certainly not the "earthy" aspect. Vanilla, while part of the initial flavor, is the main star of the aftertaste. It has a really good vanilla bean flavor, reminding me of vanilla ice cream. While I like the vanilla, it's unable to replicate the thicker texture that actual cream adds.

I noted in my original A&W review that the carbonation, while adequate, was a little on the weak side and 11 years later I have similar feelings. The bubbles are there, but very tiny and don't prickle at all, which some may favor, but I like my carbonation a little more aggressive. That said, it doesn't feel flat and it stays moderately fizzy through the whole bottle. The sugar levels seem pretty dialed in, with a less syrupy feel to my mouth than the worst offenders, but A&W continues to use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar cane like the better root beers use. Partially due to the micro bubbles and partially due to the vanilla cream flavor, this has a smooth feel to it, but the lack of a creamy froth does keep it from being an exceptionally smooth drinking experience. It could use a little more foaminess.

Not too far off from their regular root beer, this float version ends up being just an average one. The flavor profile plays it very safe, with little to offer in the way of spice variations other than the vanilla cream. I do think it captures a "float" taste to it, but I think I would just prefer an actual float with the added texture of real ice cream. But it's certainly worth giving a try if you enjoy very vanilla-forward root beers.

Rating: C
flavor: C
aftertaste: C+
sweetness: B-
smoothness: B-
carbonation: C-


No comments:

Post a Comment